Budding artists between the ages of 5 and 18 are invited to submit a portrait for the Young Archie competition, as part of our family-focused activities for the Archibald Prize 2020 regional tour.
The portrait should be of a person who is special to you - someone who is known to you and plays a significant role in your life.
There are four age categories:
- 5-8 year olds
- 9-12 year olds
- 13-15 year olds
- 16-18 year olds
About your portrait subject
We prefer that the portrait is 'painted from life' and that your subject has a sitting for their portrait, like with the Archibald Prize. This can be done over a video call if you can’t visit your subject right now. You may also create the portrait from memory or take your own photograph to use for reference.
We welcome entries from schools but, due to numbers, we strongly encourage you to first run your own internal competition then submit only your top works (up to 10) into the official Young Archie competition at the Gallery.
The competition will be judged by artist, writer, and educator Kirli Saunders, based on merit and originality.
Selected finalists from each category will be exhibited at the Gallery. One winner will be chosen in each category.
Each winner will receive prizes provided by ANZ.
- One artwork only per entrant.
- You may use any art materials you like but your artwork must be two-dimensional and on good-quality paper so it can be framed for display if you are a finalist.
- Can be vertical or horizontal.
- Must be submitted on paper no larger than A4 (210 x 297 mm), and no thicker than 1cm.
How to enter
- Entries close 5.00pm Sunday, 15 August 2021.
- Finalists are notified no later than Wednesday 18 August 2021 via supplied email address.
- Entries via the online entry form, which includes a brief statement (less than 100 words) telling us who you have chosen to depict and why. This form must be signed by a parent or legal guardian.
- Photographs – each work should be submitted with at least one photograph no smaller than 1MB and no larger than 5MB.
- If you are selected as a finalist, the original work must be hand delivered or mailed by Monday 23 August 2021 to the Gallery